News & Events
Looking for a story idea, or in need of an expert to comment or interview? For questions, interview requests and other media-related needs, please contact Stephanie Rauschenbach at (614) 701-1714. We will do our best to accommodate your deadlines.
Spirit Sprint featured in Southeast Messenger
Cruisers win Spirit Sprint 5K
By Rick Palsgrove, Southeast Editor - May 08, 2012
The Groveport Madison Cruisers showed their school spirit by walking and running their way to victory in the Cardinal Orthopaedic Institute's Spirit Sprint 5K run.
"Big news!" said Groveport Madison Athletic Director Steve Petros. "We won the 5K, which means Groveport Madison athletics won almost $7,000 for the school."
Groveport Madison bested Gahanna Lincoln, Reynoldsburg and Canal Winchester for the top prize.
The third annual Spirit Sprint 5K run, held April 29, enables school district athletic departments to raise money through registrations for the run.
Each school district received 80 percent of its registration proceeds, according to Stephanie Rauschenbach, Cardinal Orthopaedic Institute marketing director. After the 80 percent was allocated, the school district registering the most participants earned 75 percent of the remaining proceeds and the runner-up earned the other 25 percent.
"The total participants was more than 540," said Rauschenbach. "The total amount of money raised was more than $13,000. Groveport Madison was the winning school district with about 197 participants. Groveport Madison will be presented with approximately $7,000. This sum includes their 80 percent plus 75 percent of the 'pot.'"
"All the money will go toward purchasing training equipment for all of our athletes for all sports at the high school," said Petros. "Equipment-wise we have a lot of catching up to do. This is step number one."
Petros said the event was a great way to bring the Cruiser community together and show school spirit.
"Everyone stepped up," said Petros. "Cooks, school board members, teachers, principals, students, administration, staff, parents, plus an unbelievable showing by the secretaries. The effort by Sedalia Elementary was amazing. Our cheerleaders stole the show with their enthusiasm. They cheered everyone from start to finish. It was truly an all-around effort by the Groveport Madison community. If one group doesn't show up we don't win."
The second place finisher was Gahanna Lincoln with roughly 189 participants. Gahanna Lincoln will receive roughly $4,700. Reynoldsburg and Canal Winchester schools will take home 80 percent of their registration proceeds.